Kelly Myers-Ott, Local Senior Advisor
The “Beyond Driving with Dignity” program was created in 2008 by Matt Gurwell, a retired Ohio State Trooper. Matt’s passion has been to continue reducing preventable traffic crashes involving older drivers that may have a diminishment in cognitive and/or physical driving abilities. The program provides practical, real-life solutions to older drivers and their concerned families. The “Beyond Driving with Dignity” program is designed to save lives while simultaneously helping to ease the burden of the family as they find themselves faced with this very challenging issue.
This program has been designed to serve as a vital tool to facilitate older drivers (and their families) as they make appropriate decisions regarding the future of one’s safe driving career. If the individual is a safe driver, we provide him or her with strategies on how to remain a safe driver as they progress through the aging process. If driving retirement is the appropriate decision, then we offer the individual (and their family) possible alternatives, resources, and a specific plan to ensure a smooth and successful transition from the driver’s seat to the passenger seat.
1.Do you live away from your loved-one and aren’t completely sure of his or her ability to continue driving safely?
2. Could you use some help and direction plotting the future of your loved one’s safe driving career?
3. Are you unsure of how to address the issue with your loved one, or confused about how to initiate “the talk”?
4. Not sure what resources are available to you?
5. Do you want a skilled and experienced professional to help bring or maintain calm and stability to what can be a very complex and sensitive family issue?
6. Are you looking for a program that will help further your loved one’s ability to remain a safe driver, and to continue to monitor their skills as they progress through the aging process?
The “Beyond Driving with Dignity” program is dedicated to improving the mortality rate of older drivers and drivers with certain disabilities. We accomplish this through our dedicated franchise owners, who work one-on-one with the older driver, and deliver proprietary educational programs to older drivers, their families, geriatric professionals, and the general public. Our owners further enhance our service to others by forming meaningful and beneficial partnerships with members of the medical, geriatric, criminal justice and highway safety communities.